I LOVE multi-purpose household items that morph into DIY natural remedies. For this reason I’m Baking Soda’s #1 fan! Here are 5 of my favorite uses for this inexpensive pantry staple.
1) Exfoliate! Add a little water to 3 tablespoons of baking soda and make a paste. Use this mixture to exfoliate the whole body (avoiding eye area) next time you take a bath or shower. Your skin will feel silky and invigorated!
2) Laundry boost! In addition to deodorizing the refrigerator, did you know it can be used in the washing machine too?! I add a sprinkling of baking soda to my workout laundry load for maximum freshness.
3) Natural deoderant! Add coconut oil to a shallow screw top container and fill an empty spice jar with baking soda. After the shower, rub a small amount of coconut oil into your underarm and sprinkle with baking soda. Boom! Natural deoderant!
4) Bug-bite relief! A few years ago we traveled to Austin, Texas, for a warm weather getaway. We rented bicycles and rode through town with glorious vengeance, a trip that included the botanical gardens. While biking the park, my flip-flop adorned foot stepped on a nest of red ants. Quickly my foot was bitten, painfully itchy and swollen to twice its size! There was discussion of medical assistance, but we luckily ran into a group of off-duty firemen at a taco shop. I showed them my foot and was prescribed a DIY poultice of baking soda and water, a mixture I slathered all over my foot! They recommended I circle the swollen, poisoned area (my entire foot minus the toes!) and in the morning I thankfully began to feel relief. From now on, I smear the DIY paste over inevitable insect bites.
5) Stain remover! Is there anything more classic than glossy red nails? I think no. A fresh manicure amplifies my mood and makes me feel super put together. The only bummer about red nails is removing the color and living in pink tinted tips for days. The French Beauty Solution inspired me to treat nails in a baking soda soak, something I did after removing red nail polish. I rubbed the paste into nail beds and gently exfoliated my hands. Miraculously the pink tint disappeared with a rinse of water! Now I treat nails to a soak every time I take my polish off.