What should you be eating right now??! Apricots. They are ripe for the pickin’ and the first sign that summer is just around the bend! Apricot season usually lasts about a month, so swing by your local produce provider to snag a most joyful springtime fling.
Apricot and Avocado Salad
- 2 large handfuls of mixed greens (such as spinach, red leaf, arugula or butter lettuce)
- 4 fresh basil leaves, julienne
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1 apricots
- 1 tablespoon dried cherries
- 2 tablespoons toasted pepita or sunflower seeds
- 1/2 shallot, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon Sherry or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1) Add lettuce mix and sliced basil to a medium sized bowl. In a small bowl mix together vinegars, oil and a pinch of both salt and pepper. Dress greens, adding more dressing if it seems too dry.
2) Slice avocado lengthwise then widthwise to create little cubes. Use a spoon to scoop avocado from peel and add to dressed greens. Slice apricot in half, twist to remove one side and discard pit. Chop into large chunks and add to lettuces.
3) Add dried cherries, seeds and shallot to salad bowl. Toss gently, finish with a few cracks of pepper and serve immediately.